Hacking a Sales Conference in 5 Simple Steps
Sales technologies and sales conferences are a lot alike.
They’re everywhere, they’re expensive, and you’re not always sure how to make the most of them.
As a busy sales leader, you probably don’t have the time or resources to attend every great sales conference that pops up on your timeline or in your inbox. But that doesn’t mean you can’t reap the benefits without ever leaving your office.
Most conferences and shows today are highly focused on social engagement. From customized session hashtags to attendee Twitter lists and live-streamed videos, it’s easier than ever to virtually attend a conference from the comfort of your desk. And even when you’re not physically there to network with the best of the best, we’ve got plenty of hacks to connect you with the right people.
Here are 5 things you can do to show everyone that you’re crushing your quota and be in more than one place at a time.
1) Do your research. Before the conference begins, make sure you know all of the details. Think location, time, agenda and speakers. This will save you time when you’re ready to take some of the steps below.
2) Familiarize yourself with conference hashtags. Depending on the size and scope of the conference, there may be one general hashtag to tweet about what’s going on, or there may be one for each different speaking session. Sometimes hosts will list hashtags alongside in the agenda alongside each presentation’s description. Check these out and determine what you’re most interested in “attending.”
3) Get to know the conference speakers and affiliates on social. While you’re at a conference to learn about trends and tools, you’re also there to network with experts in your industry. Figure out who the thought leaders and important people will be at the conference and follow them on Twitter. They’ll notice the attention, and it will be easier for you to engage with them later.
4) Make yourself known in the context of the conference. So what that you’re not actually planning on going? Everyone else who is attending is getting excited for the event, and you should too. Get in on the action by sharing the conference logo, tweeting to the hashtags and tag the speakers – when you do this, they will be notified every time someone interacts with the tweet. Also share on LinkedIn.
5) Engage during the conference. Everything up until this step has been preparation. Now is your time to shine and make the most of a digitally focused conference. Follow along with the hashtags, like, retweet and reply, and be creative. It’s OK to repurpose other attendees’ content (photos, videos, etc) as long as you’re giving them credit. It’s a great way to boost the egos of some of the most important people in your industry, while establishing credibility and potentially setting yourself up for opportunities in the future. You’ll find yourself engaging with interesting people and learning a lot.
It’s that simple. You don’t need to have $5,000 and 4 days to be an engaged and active thought leader in your industry. With a social selling strategy and some creativity, it’ll be like you were there the whole time.
For more social selling and sales enablement tips, check out our free on-demand webinars.